Emma Richardson before and after the treatment
Emma Richardson went to a salon to get her eyebrows done with a friend but didn’t have the test carried out to see if her skin would react to the treatment.
After two days, the 20-year-old noticed she has a rash and went to a pharmacist, who told her it was likely a reaction to the wax.
They gave her a steroid cream but, after another couple of days, her eyes became swollen.
She managed to get through a dancing show she had that night but the next day she noticed things had gotten much worse.
“My whole face was swollen,” Emma told Time 107.5. “I couldn’t open my eyes and it felt like my face was going to explode.”
“I went to A&E and they told me it was going to be a four-hour wait but the triage nurse took me straight through when they saw me.”
She is studying to be a pediatric nurse and almost missed the chance to do her work placement at Queen’s Hospital because she was infected.
It took more than three weeks for Emma to recover, and ruined her holiday as she was unable to go out in the sun, wear makeup, or drink alcohol as a result of the antibiotics she was.
Now she is raising awareness about the patch test, which sees the product placed behind the customer’s ear for 24 hours to check for any reactions.
“You’re meant to have a patch test every time you have something done,” she continued.
“I thought you could have one patch test for an eyebrow tint and that would be it, it would be fine for the rest of your life.
“But every time you have them done you’re meant to have them check again because your body could change.”
Emma says you should always be offered a patch test and advises people to leave the shop if you’re not.
She is advising people to ask for a receipt to prove where they had their eyebrows waxed and tinted in case the worst happens.Tags: Havering, Rainham
© TIME107.5fm 2015-2019. All rights reserved.