01708 741075
Advertisement
  • Time 107.5 fm
  • 7 AM - 12 PM

ON AIR NOW

Sunday Breakfast

With Steve Dean

Firefighters issue warning after chip pan fire damages home in Gidea Park

Two parents and three children were treated at the scene (credit: London Fire Brigade) 

Firefighters are warning people not to leave cooking unattended after a chip pan fire damaged a house in Gidea Park

Most of the ground floor of a semi-detached house was damaged in Pinecroft on Saturday evening. 

A family of five escaped the blaze and were treated at the scene by paramedics. 

Four fire engines and 25 firefighters arrived at the scene at 9.10pm and brought the fire under control at around 10pm. 

An investigation has revealed a chip pan was left unattended and started the fire. 

“Fires are more likely to start in the kitchen than any other room in the home,” said a London Fire Brigade spokesperson.

“Cooking should never be left unattended on the hob or grill – if you have to leave the kitchen, turn off the heat.

“Chip pans and cooking with hot oil can be really dangerous and the risk increases when you start frying food more than once.

“All it can take is for you to become distracted for a few seconds and your cooking oil can quickly go up in flames.”

The London Fire Brigade has provided people with a number of fire safety tips for when they are cooking: 

Take extra care when cooking with hot oil as it can easily overheat and catch fire.
Never fill a pan more than one third full of fat or oil.
Make sure food is dry before putting it in hot oil – oil and water are a dangerous mix.
If the oil starts to smoke, it’s too hot. Turn off the heat and leave it to cool.
Try not to leave cooking unattended on the hob or grill – if you have to leave the kitchen, turn off the heat.
Not feeling 100%? Order a takeaway – if you’re very tired, have been drinking alcohol or are taking medication that might make you drowsy, it’s safer not to risk it.
Be fabric aware – loose clothing can easily catch fire, so take care not to lean over a hot hob, and always keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob.

Tags: , ,
Want to read more news ? Read More News

Listen to
Time 107.5 FM
also on

iphone android

Other Stations

Lyca Dilse Radio 1035

Think from your Mind, Listen from your Heart

Lyca Radio 1458

Aapka Apna Radio, Sunte Raho Sunate Raho

Athavan Radio

Athavan Radio, Sunte Raho Sunate Raho

Lyca Desi News

Aapka Lyca Desi, 24 hour news channel

© TIME107.5fm 2015-2020. All rights reserved.