Four fire engines and 25 firefighters were called to the scene in Rugby Road (credit: Google Maps)
Three people were trapped on the first floor of an end-of-terrace-house in Rugby Road at around 12.30am this morning.
“On the way to the fire, the Brigade’s 999 Control Officers gave vital fire survival guidance to three people who were inside the house on how to keep safe before we arrived,” said station officer, Alan Furlong.
“On arrival, we were faced with heavy smoke coming from the first floor of the house and could see three people at a first floor bedroom window.
“We pitched a short extension ladder to the first floor and carried a child down the ladder to safety. Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus rescued a further man and a woman via the ladder.”
Part of the ground floor of the building was damaged by the fire and the entire property was very heavily smoke logged.
All three people were taken to hospital by paramedics and the London Fire Brigade has found alternate accommodation for the family.
Investigators believe the fire was started by the failure of lithium ion batteries within a laptop. The batteries can be found in many electrical devices, like tables and phones, and need to be charged properly to avoid the risk of fire.
Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters from Dagenham, Ilford and Barking fire stations attended the scene.
For more on this story, and the latest on our other local and national news, listen to Time 107.5FM
Tags: Dagenham, Barking and Dagenham
© TIME107.5fm 2015-2020. All rights reserved.