Chef Jamie Oliver’s father run the pub in the 1970s
The Prince of Wales, in West Road, dates back to 1851 but was ultimately closed in 2009.
Thurrock Council applied to destroy the building and replace it with nine flats and 12 parking spaces in 2015.
However, the move sparked a backlash among the local community and a petition to save the pub was signed by 500 people.
The protest appears to have only delayed the council though as it again marked the site for development in 2020.
It applied to tear down the building, two adjacent garages and some nearby trees earlier this year.
Work to demolish the building began this week.
The pub was previously run by chef Jamie Oliver’s father Trevor in the 1970s.
For more on this story, and the latest on our other local and national news, listen to Time 107.5FM
Tags: Essex, Thurrock, South Ockendon
© TIME107.5fm 2015-2021. All rights reserved.