Firefighters were called to an industrial unit in Grays yesterday
Essex Fire Brigade were called to Motherwell Way yesterday at around 4.30pm, after a number of people inside the unit became ill.
The building was immediately evacuated and fire crews from Brentwood, Basildon and Grays attended to the incident.
Firefighters used gas monitoring equipment which revealed there was severe levels of carbon monoxide in the air.
Incident Commander Russ Freeman said: “In total, eleven people have been treated after being overcome by carbon monoxide. Their condition is not being treated as life-changing or life-threatening.
“We’ve been searching the building to find out where the carbon monoxide is coming from, and so far have been unable to identify the cause.
“We’ll continue to search while we monitor the gas levels in the air, and thankfully we can already see levels are reducing.
“I’d like to reassure local residents that the carbon monoxide levels are contained to the building, and even when we ventilate the unit, there is no risk or safety concern to the wider area or public.”
For more on this story, and the latest on our other local and national news, listen to Time 107.5FM
© TIME107.5fm 2015-2021. All rights reserved.