People moving into Beam Park were promised there would be a new station (Credit: Jon Cruddas)
The Government pulled its support of the project last week on the grounds it was “poor value for money” and there would be issues with potential “ongoing operational subsidy”.
Private developers and the Greater London Authority (GLA) have since confirmed they were going to pay for the scheme on their own.
Dagenham and Rainham MP Jon Cruddas said it “poses no financial risk for the government” and should be approved.
“This discovery blows the whole situation wide open,” said Cruddas. “We now know that the delivery and ongoing cost of a new station poses no financial risk for the government, yet they have withdrawn approval for the scheme, throwing the development of thousands of new homes into contention.
“We have also had confirmation from developers that delivery of a new Beam Park station was a condition of planning consent.”
Cruddas will be meeting with tenants and owners from across the Beam Park development virtually on Monday, 27 September.
He is working with the Deputy London Mayors for Transport and Housing to apply pressure on the Department of Transport.
“These revelations reinforce our suspicions that despite their talk of ‘levelling up’, the Tories are determined to grind communities like ours to a halt,” added Cruddas.
“Government policy is completely out of sync as we see the Tories put more pressure on local authorities to increase housing targets and then pull the infrastructure needed to support those communities. It just won’t stand, and we will fight this all the way alongside local people.”
If you would like to sign his petition calling on the Government to deliver the station you can do so online here.
For more on this story, and the latest on our other local and national news, listen to Time 107.5FMTags: Beam Park, Jon Cruddas, Dagenham and Rainham
© TIME107.5fm 2015-2021. All rights reserved.