People near the area have been urged to close their doors and windows (Credit: London Fire Brigade)
A high quantity of chlorine gas was released due to a chemical reaction at the Aquatics Centre in the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park at around 9.45am this morning.
The London Ambulance Service are treating a number of patients at the scene including some who have breathing difficulties.
Around 200 people have been evacuated from the centre. The London Fire Brigade has asked people living nearby to close their doors and windows while they ventilate the premises.
A spokesperson for the park tweeted: “There has been an incident @AquaticsCentre this morning involving the release of a gas.
“The area has been cordoned off and evacuated. We’re working with emergency services on site. There are a number of casualties with breathing difficulties being treated by @Ldn_Ambulance.”
The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, has urged people to avoid the area.
For more on this story, and the latest on our other local and national news, listen to Time 107.5FMTags: Newham, Stratford, Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, Chemical incident
© TIME107.5fm 2015-2022. All rights reserved.