Christmas lights were left on overnight and caught fire in the early hours of the morning.
“The couple were only alerted to the fire after the man woke up and realised something was burning downstairs,” said Watch Manager Kerry Taylor, Orsett Fire Station.
“There was then a delay in the couple getting out of the house as they had locked their front door and kept the key somewhere else in the house.”
The lounge suffered from fire damage where the blaze reportedly began and smoke spread throughout the entire house, leaving it uninhabitable.
Taylor added: “This incident shows how important it is to have working smoke alarms, had the man not woken up at that point the outcome of this incident could have been very different.
“Keeping your door secure is extremely important, but always ensure you have easy access to the key so you can leave quickly and easily when needed.
“Always turn all lights off when you leave a room and never leave them on overnight.”
If you need a smoke alarm, you can get it fitted for free from Essex County Fire and Rescue Service by calling 0300 303 0088 or booking online: www.essex-fire.gov.uk/bookTags: Grays, Thurrock
© TIME107.5fm 2015-2019. All rights reserved.