The fire broke out in the shop in Chigwell Road (credit: London Fire Brigade)
Around 25 firefighters were called to the blaze at around 7pm yesterday (Monday, 16 January) in a shop with flats above in Chigwell Road.
One woman left the property before the London Fire Brigade arrived and was treated on scene for smoke inhalation by London Ambulance Service.
No one was reported injured.
The fire took an hour to put out by crews from Chingford, Walthamstow, Woodford and Hainault fire stations.
Damage was caused to part of the rear of a shop on the ground floor.
The cause of the fire was accidental and due to combustible items left too close to a heat source.
Fire investigators found the shop didn’t have any working smoke alarms.
A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “This incident is a timely reminder to ensure you have working smoke alarms.
“You should have working smoke alarms in every room where a fire can start, plus a heat alarm in the kitchen and the bathroom. They should be tested regularly.”
For more on this story, and the latest on our other local and national news, listen to Time 107.5FM
© TIME107.5fm 2015-2024. All rights reserved.