01708 741075
  • Time 107.5 fm



Two Ilford teens jailed for manslaughter

Hussain Chaudry was studying law at the SOAS University of London and sold clothes for extra cash (Pic-Met Police)

Two teenagers from Ilford have been jailed for 20 years for the manslaughter of 18-year-old Hussain Chaudhry in Walthamstow. 

19-Year-old Marvin Ward and 18-year-old Alexis Morris were handed the prison term at Wood Green Crown Court on Friday, 4 February. 

The pair had previously been found guilty at the same court following a the conclusion of a seven-week trial in December.

Both men were sentenced to 20 years’ imprisonment for manslaughter; 13 years’ imprisonment for robbery; two years’ imprisonment each for two counts of GBH with all sentences to run concurrently.

Morris received an additional 12 months’ imprisonment for possession of a weapon which is also to run concurrently.

Another man, 18-year-old Anthony Nguyen from Belvedere, was found guilty of assisting an offender at the same trial and was sentenced to 18 months’ imprisonment and will also be subject to a 12-month supervision order on his release.

Marvin Ward (Left) and Alexis Morris (Right) were found guilty after a seven-week trial (Pics-Met Police)

The court heard how the men had agreed to meet Hussain on 17 March 2021, and two of his friends, to buy a designer jacket after interacting over a social media platform. 

They then went in to Hussain’s family house after they asked if they had the jacket in a smaller size. 

Despite initially offering to pay for the jacket, Ward and Morris took out knives and threatened Hussain. 

Ward, whilst also ordered a taxi to take them away, held Hussain and his friends at knife point as Morris searched the house for more designer jackets. 

At this point, Hussain’s mother returned to the property; Hussain went to protect his mother from the knifemen in the home. 

Hussain’s two brothers came out of the their rooms and were able to detain Morris. 

An altercation led out on to the street as Ward attempted to get in the taxi that he had ordered with the stolen jacket. 

During the struggle, Hussain suffered a fatal knife wound to his neck, his mother suffered a serious thumb injury and one of his brothers suffered a hand injury too.

Emergency services were called, but despite the best efforts of an off-duty doctor, Hussain was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics. 

Morris was able to escape the property through an upstairs window during the altercation. 

Detectives from the Met’s Specialist Crime Command were able to identify the suspects thanks to CCTV footage as well as mobile phone analysis. 

Ward was arrested on 19 March and Morris two days later.

Morris was arrested at an address in Luton and had been helped to evade police capture by Nguyen.

Nguyen was sentenced for assisting an offender at the same trial

Detective Chief Inspector Mike Stubbins, said, “Hussain’s death was a tragedy that shocked the community to its core. His life was tragically cut short due to the actions of two young men the same age as him.

“This case demonstrates the devastating consequences of arming yourself with a knife in order to commit crime.

“Hussain’s family, who tried to defend and protect him on the day, have not only been left with physical scars, but face the huge emotional and psychological burden of trying to come to terms with his death.

“I would like to pay tribute to the family and all the witnesses who have attended court to ensure that Hussain’s killers are brought to justice.”

Hussain’s family released the following statement, “We are pleased that the jury has returned guilty verdicts for the cowardly robbers who unlawfully killed our beloved Hussain and wounded his mother and brother during their attempt to rob our family home.

“Ultimate justice is from God Almighty and whilst nothing will ease the pain of losing Hussain, we are grateful that those responsible have been caught and convicted of his unlawful killing and robbery.

“These are cowardly robbers and killers who draw a false sense of strength and arrogance from carrying knives. However, on 17 March 2021 they were confronted with real strength and true courage when they failed to intimidate Hussain – who fought back alongside his brothers and friends to protect his mother, home and family.

“We would like to extend our heartfelt thanks to everyone who has been supporting us with goodwill and prayers throughout this ordeal. Thank you to all of the witnesses who came forward and the press who reported on this tragedy with great respect for Hussain’s memory. We are also eternally grateful to the absolutely incredible teams from the Metropolitan Police and the CPS who worked with great dedication to ensure that justice was achieved for Hussain.

“Hussain lives on through his legacy and this will continue as long as we all uphold the values that he embodied – Love, Honour and Bravery.”

For more on this story, and the latest on our other local and national news, listen to Time 107.5FM

Tags: , , ,
Want to read more news ? Read More News

Listen to
Time 107.5 FM
also on

iphone android

Other Stations

Lyca Dilse Radio 1035

Think from your Mind, Listen from your Heart

Lyca Radio 1458

Aapka Apna Radio, Sunte Raho Sunate Raho

Athavan Radio

Athavan Radio, Sunte Raho Sunate Raho

Lyca Desi News

Aapka Lyca Desi, 24 hour news channel

© TIME107.5fm 2015-2022. All rights reserved.