01708 741075
  • Time 107.5 fm
  • 8 PM - 10 PM


Night Time

With Time 107.5

Teenager jailed for murder of schoolboy on bus in Chadwell Heath

Carlton Tanueh has been sentenced to at least 26 years in prison (credit: Met Police)

A teenager has been jailed for murdering a schoolboy on a bus in Chadwell Heath.

Tyler Hurley, 16, was fatally stabbed by Carlton Tanueh on Monday, 14 March on the 173 route in an apparent revenge attack for comments posted online.

The 19-year-old was sentenced in court today to at least 26 years in prison after a jury found him guilty on Wednesday, 14 December.

He’d pled guilty to two counts of being in possession of an offensive weapon at a previous court hearing and was sentenced to two years and six months to run concurrently.

Tyler and his friends had uploaded a music video to YouTube mocking a number of Tanueh’s friends in the weeks prior to the murder.

Two weeks before, associates of Tanueh had already attempted a reprisal attack against Tyler and his friends. After that incident, Tyler posted on social media that he had escaped unharmed.

On the day of the murder, Tanueh, then aged 18, was traveling on the number 173 bus when he spotted Tyler waiting at the bus stop on Chadwell Heath High Road.

Tanueh, who was armed with two large, concealed zombie knives, got off the bus as it stopped to pick up Tyler and his friends. Before re-boarding the bus arming himself ready to carry out the deadly attack.

CCTV captured Tyler attempting to make his way to the back of the bus away from his attacker before Tanueh fatally stabbed him.

After stabbing Tyler, Tanueh got off the bus to pursue Tyler’s friend; however unbeknownst to him, Tanueh was also being followed by a member of the public who contacted police on Tanueh’s movements.

Officers discovered Tanueh hiding behind a garden wall in Burlington Gardens. Further police searches recovered the knife that Tanueh used to kill Tyler.

During interview, Tanueh answered ‘no comment’ to all questions put to him by detectives and was charged on 16 March.

Detective Chief Inspector Mark Rogers, who led the investigation, said: “Tanueh saw his opportunity to get revenge in relation to the ongoing feud and perceived slight against his friends.

“He was intent on violence that day, travelling with knives. Tanueh had posted on social media that he was out looking for someone, that someone we suggest and the jury agreed, was Tyler.

“I really want to pay tribute to the members of the public who intervened in this incident. After the attack, a witness followed Tanueh and updated 999 call handlers on his movements.

“This was incredibly brave and undoubtedly helped officers apprehend Tanueh just a few roads away from the scene.

“Bystanders also helped provide first aid to Tyler before the arrival of emergency services.”

DCI Rogers concluded: “This sad case exemplifies how petty rivalries and online taunts can have tragic real-life consequences, not just for the victim, but also his family and friends. I hope that seeing the man responsible for Tyler’s death found guilty will be of some comfort to them as they continue to grieve him.

“This was a callous attack in broad daylight that understandably shocked the local community, as well as Tyler’s fellow pupils and teachers at his school. I also hope that this case will serve as a warning – no good ever comes from carrying a knife.”

Tyler Hurley was fatally stabbed in March

Tyler’s mum said: “Since losing my son Tyler Hurley my whole life feels like it has stopped in time. I have not slept through the night since I lost Tyler. This Christmas will not be the same without him.

“I have changed my whole way of life now to protect my other children. I feel that I cannot let them go out of my sight in case something happens to them.

“In my mind I can’t believe that I have to live my life without my Tyler. When I contracted Covid for the first time, it was Tyler who made me dinners and would leave them outside my bedroom door as I didn’t want any of the children to be exposed to the virus.

“Every morning I would wake up and think that it was just a bad nightmare but then the realisation that Tyler has gone comes to the forefront of my mind.”

Tyler’s sister said: “Tyler never deserved to die. He was 16. Just 16. With the opportunity to learn from his mistakes and grow into the amazing young man he was becoming, cruelly stolen from him.

“Tyler, you were the heart and soul of our family. You were and will forever be my biggest champion, there just aren’t enough words to describe how proud of you, I really am. You achieved so much in such a short space of time, from never losing a boxing fight to showing consistent pure dedication and unconditional loyalty.

“You are one of a kind Tyler, and I promised you, the day I held your hand for the last time, that I would never stop telling the world, how amazing you truly are, inside and out. There aren’t many hearts like yours Ty.”

For more on this story, and the latest on our other local and national news, listen to Time 107.5FM

Tags: , , , ,
Want to read more news ? Read More News

Listen to
Time 107.5 FM
also on

iphone android

Other Stations

Lyca Gold 1035

Think from your Mind, Listen from your Heart

Lyca Radio 1458

Aapka Apna Radio, Sunte Raho Sunate Raho

© TIME107.5fm 2015-2024. All rights reserved.